Hi,
Well, there are many points of view about intelectual copyrights, but
the fact of the matter is if you pirate software you are hurting the
company in question in one way or another. High quality sound effects,
graphics, and music can get very expensive. A game developer needs money
to purchase these things, and if you pirate the games then that is less
money to use on the next game. That isn't even considering the labor
costs involved in working on a game 10 to 20 hours a week.
Let us look at this in this way. Which would produce more income for me.
I could work at McDonald's for 20 hours a week and get a pay check every
two weeks, or I can work for 20 hours a week for an entire year with no
pay and have some young, upstart, pirates steel all of my work for free.
Now, if those very same pirates were forced to work for a year, and then
were expecting to be paid at the end of that year and were not paid what
would they say? I am pretty certain they would be screaming for some
heads to roll, and want their money the day before yesterday.
The absolute truth is a lot of pirates have no experience in business
and are  just kids who have not had real life experience in trying to
earn a living. They have some foolish notion that they deserve
everything served to them on a golden platter without paying for it.
Once they grow up a little they see everyone needs to work to make a
living, and steeling is steeling no matter what intelectual spin you put
on it.
I don't know how old you are, but when you say things like, "it all
depends on what you think work and effort should cost," shows a lack of
experience in business.  A business requires materials, employees, and a
certain percent of proffet. If you don't have enough money to buy all
the materials to create a product you can't make the product, if you
have no money for employees you have no one to produce the products, and
if you have no proffet you can't purchase food, pay the rent, pay the
phone bill, and so on. Those are facts, and not open to intelectual
opinions.