Hints in KoL would be good indeed, and something I'd much prefer to looking up puzle solutions online.

As for graphical rpgs, well sadly Marrio rpg never had a release over here, so I never had chance to encounter the game. I have read a script however and agree on the rather surprising character depth.

The mechanics of the Grandia games always amazed me for their symplicity, and yet how flexible they were.

Each character had a number of power meters which built up over time, and a number of moves or actions they could perform depending upon where their meater was.

Enemies worked the same way, so for quick enemies, it was sometimes better to wait, and then slam them with a more devastating attack, or to use a number of quick attacks.

Sinse actions also included dodging, changing party order, healing, parrying etc, this made for a very in depth set of mechanics.

I also absolutely agree on the audio rpg front.

Beware the Grue!