Hi Dark,
Yeah, the original Mortal Kombat was very cartoonish when it came to gore. Nevertheless there are those people out there that flip out over any kind of violence in games, blood and gore, and think that we should not give such games to our kids. Consider, for example, the article Nicol posted to this list that basically said that playing such games was ungodly behavior, that games like that lead young children away from Christ, etc. The entire article was poorly researched, and I found the so-called evidence in that article unconvincing. Still it is a reminder that some games will always cross some boundries and will be socially unacceptable to some people for one reason or another. It isn't possible to create a game like Double Dragon or Mortal Kombat without getting some kind of negative feedback from the public. Some parents, psychologists, and religious people are very concerned over the amount of violence in video games. They feel the violent nature of games have gone too far, but there just as many people who don't care or worry about it. When it comes to a game like Q9, eh, don't worry about it. The violence is pretty tame all things considdered. It is no where as violent or gory as say Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and plenty of other games I can think of. In fact, you don't even have to think about killing the creatures in the game. It is designed in such a way that a person can think of knocking them out with the club or rocks instead of outright killing them if they have a thing about killing animals.

dark wrote:
Ah Tom, funny you mention double dragon.

now i think about it i was playing double dragon and International Karate pluss at the age of 5 on our old amstrad computer, ---- before I lost the sight of my right eye, I only mention mortal combat because I remember the huge controversy when it was released and the removal of all the blood from the Snes version (well, it actually stil has blood, the blood is merely coloured grey), which I found confusing at the time sinse the violence in the original Mk is more cartoon gore than anything else anbd not worse than you'd see in Tom and Gerry.

of course, depending upon how much of a twisted evil psycho people think i am now, that might influence what they think of children playing so called violent games. grin!

Beware the grue!