Hi Dark,
I like the concept of an open arena type game as a free training program, but unfortunately that wouldn't be a very good example of a true 3d game. If we are talking a true 3d game keep in mind we aren't just talking north, south, east, and west directions. There has to be an element of vertical movement as well else we are still a 2d game. That's essentially the problem with Shades of Doom. It only offers an x and y axis of movement, and there is no vertical up/down movement at all in the game. This is totally different from what Tomb Hunter II will be like. Here is an example of what I mean. In Tomb Hunter II besides being able to turn 360 degrees and move north, south, east, and west through the tombs you'll also have a fair amount of climbing up/down to get through the tombs. You might have to climb a rope to ascend into a room above you or remove a trap door to jump into a room below you. So instead of four directions of movement you will have a total of six possible directions to go from any point on the level. Does this make sense? Let's use this as a very simple example. Let's assume you are swimming in the ocean and you are underwater. Besides being able to swim forward and backward you can turn 360 degrees moving north, south, east, or west as well. However, you should also be able to swim down towards the ocean floor or swim up to the surface. A game based on my swimming example would be a far more accurate and realistic example of a 3d game simple as it is.

HTH