Hi Bryan,

That's because the way Jaws and Window-Eyes handle keyboard input are
totally different. When you load Jaws in its own way it acts like
DirectInput does. What I mean by that is it acts as a keyboard
intercept intercepting any and all keyboard keys, processes them,
before sending them on to MS Windows or the application. If it is a
Jaws command it acts upon that command immediately If it is a Windows
command like control+escape it passes it through to MS Windows to open
the start menu. Therefore when you start a program using DirectInput
which tries to get background or exclusive control of the keyboard
Jaws and that program will cause one or the other to lock up. Both are
direct input keyboard intercepts and for that reason are incompatible.
This is totally different from something like NVDA which monitors
standard Windows events for keyboard events and acts upon them only
after Windows passes the keyboard event to the screen reader
application. As long as DirectInput defaults to background
non-exclusive mode a screen reader like NVDA will not cause any
conflicts with your game because NVDA doesn't try to acquire exclusive
control of the keyboard and shares it with other apps on your desktop
where Jaws does not.