To: "'Gamers Discussion list'" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 5:50 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Dumbing down games (was RE: anyone got anny suggestionsfor the next versionofbattlezone?)

Hi all.

I've been following this very stimulating discussion.  I'm also a bit of a
mainstream gamer as most of you know, I started out on the old Atari games
back when home computers were first coming out and audio games had not even
been thought of yet.  For that reason I too am used to doing without audio
cues to a large extent and I mainly agree with the idea that figuring a game out is more than half the fun. Having said that though, those of us who are
into these kinds of games and who enjoy figuring things out do need to
remember that not everyone is at this level and we don't want to discourage
new people from getting into gaming, the gods know there are few enough of
us as it is whether you are talking about mainstream or audio games.  Just
as a for instance. I tried to get into audio quake a few years back, I even
went so far as to get hold of an old copy of the full game.  I tried
learning how to make it work but I found it pretty impossible.  The sound
cues just did not make any sense at all and I eventually got frustrated and gave up. So I can see where some of these new gamers are maybe coming from.
From a programming standpoint I would not think it should be too hard to
satisfy both sides here, if a cue is subtle such as a slightly different
sounding footstep such as you encounter in shades of doom when you are close
to a wall this should not be intolerable to the advanced gamer who doesn't
want them.  For things like targetting sounds I think these should be
optional so the beginner can use them but the advanced player can dispense
with them if he wishes.

Well that's my two cents' worth on this for now.

Game on.

Tom