Hi Dark,

Yeah, I do see your point. A lot of the arcade games we have were
simplified for practical reasons. With Montezuma's Revenge, for
example, I did simplify things for very practical reasons. The one big
one being its hard to actually convey certain information through an
audio only medium.

For instance, the skulls. In my version the skulls only moved left
right, and you had to jump over them. There were certainly that kind
of skull in the original, but I totally left out the bouncing skulls.
I.E. the ones that were bouncing up and down. Those were trickier
because you had to run underneath them without them landing on you and
killing you instantly. I could never figure out a logical way to tell
you when a skull was up in the air and when it would be safe to run
under it before it landed. Yeah, yeah, people will say use pitch
changes  etc, but then the skulls sounded really weird and the speed
was so fast even with pitch changes you couldn't keep up. Trust me, I
tried it and I could never figure out a way to identify how and when
to run under a bouncing skull so left it out.

I think that other games lack features of the original mainstream
concepts for similar reasons. Its difficult, if not impossible, to
convey everything to a blind user through audio. Therefore we end up
with a sort of half-way game that is maybe 80% like the original idea,
but lacks a few advanced or more complex game play elements here and
there.

However, as far as Asteroids goes I don't think that type of game
would have to be converted to a 2d platformer at all. If anything else
now that I have Genesis 3D and Philip has BGT it should be relatively
easy to create a 3d Asteroids game with asteroids in true 3d space.
I.E. AAsteroids above and below the player as well as left, right, and
behind you. Now, that would be something worth playing. As an arcade
game it could get pretty advanced in navigation, math, and Physics and
might double as a type of flight simulator as well as an arcade game.

Cheers!