Hi Tom.

I agree completely as far as games and cloning go, indeed if you look at the games that changed history, it is the fact that they are not ! clones of otthers and involved original ideas that makes them special.

for instance, on the surface the original Mega man is pretty similar to various run, jump and shoot games of the 80's nes era such as mighty bomb jack, and indeedd the obstacles in the levels are often pure mario, moving ledges, springs to jump you high etc.

however, mega man has a very note worthy hero and the ability to play the game in any order and take the boss's weapons when you defeat them. That was what made the original unique and stand out.

My favourite game ever Turrican has actually been said to be heavily influenced by Metroid. you play a hero in a robotic sute, running around a large freley explorable maze, and can even turn into a ball and plant bombs.

turrican however features far faster gameplay, and weapons that covery a much wider area that you find in power blocks rather than having to discover. Even whe wheel is an invincible crusher of enemies, not a ball to sneak under narrow gaps.

so I personally would completely agree with your creative thought here. I only mentioned Dracula as an option, though a unique character would be good too, (and as I said, I was always a litle confused about how the whip fitted in with vampires anyway).

Myself my writing experience is actually very similar, sinse I began by writing stories based on rpgs like xenogears, final fantasy etc. now however, i'm more interested in doing my own thing, so i do appreciate the difference.

Beware the grue!