Hi Michael,

I do take your point, but there are limitations here. You are right
that Shades of Doom might be updated by adding some third-party map
designing tools and perhaps some sort of multiplayer mode.

Unfortunately, the way the GMA Engine is designed you absolutely have
to have the engine to add levels, edit levels, or expand any existing
game. I've had very little experience with it myself, but when setting
up a level you can not just draw a map and forget it. You have to
initialize every enemy and item on the map, IE script that level from
scratch, and there isn't really any quick fix for this problem.

As for multiplayer I think this might have to do with the developer's
own interests rather than a lack of desire in pushing audio gaming
forward. I can't really speak for David Greenwood, but i can speak for
myself here.  In terms of why I haven't added multiplayer support to
something like STFC that certainly could be played over the internet I
don't like playing games over the internet. IE I have no desire to get
involved in multiplayer games, and prefer to play games alone. That
would obviously make me less likely to put that feature at the top of
my list to add in any game I tend to create. If I do add it it would
be totally a commercial venture, and not anything I personally would
need or want to use myself. At heart most VI game developers do it for
fun rather than for money, and as a result certain features you like
might not get added because it isn't something the developer likes or
wants.

Finally, as for the Overlord games I haven't heard of them. I don't
keep tabs on what is current in the mainstream world these days. Sure
if there is something that catches my attention I might rent or buy it
if I think I'd like to play it, but for the most part I don't keep up
with mainstream gaming much any more. Talk to me about something that
was released 15 to 20 years ago and I probably heard of it.

HTH