Just a word of warning though, it may seem dawnting at first. Heck, it still does to me and I've been tinkering with it for almost a year. Granted personal issues sort of sidelined my BGT practice and I haven't really found my mse again. Of course if you want my honest opinion I suspect it has more to do with the fact that I was working on yet another Simon game and I've sort of lost my enthusiasm for that.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] BGT competition - any interest?

Hi Nancy,

Yes, there is a trial version of BGT. Basically, if you download BGT
without a license key you can write games, but you can not compile
them to a Windows executable. Instead you have to run the source code
through the BGT runtime interpretor. Which will run a little slower,
and if you redistribute the scripts everyone has access to your
source. So for general distribution you probably want at least a basic
shareware license which costs $29.

As far as documentation goes BGT comes with everything you need to get
started. There is an audio manual plus there is a help file filled
with descriptions of every function available through the engine. Plus
on the Blastbay website there are some free games with source you can
look at to get a basic idea of how to get started.

Cheers!