Hi Decota.

I think part of the reason is that most modern games either have characters who are hugely different in every way to the point where playing the game becomes an utterly different experience, ---- as in fact is the case with a lot of modern beat em ups where everyone has their own style and moves, or modern games have characters that are so customizeable as to be ridiculous, with lots of different equipment, skills to learn etc.

In a lot of the 16 or 8 bit era games though, even a very simple game just changed a couple of properties to create more characters, eg, jump high or distance, whether a weapon could hit up and down or side to side, number and uses of special weapons, health etc. As I said, even with a very basic game of the Superliam type it'd be possible to have more characters by just playing with some properties.

Of course on the down side, this does require a different programming architecture that might be more complex, ----- for instance instead of having a function that alters a players' position by one step everytime right arrow is pushed, you would have to have a function that alters' a players position by the number of steps in each characters' movement range when the arrow is pushed.

If however it was built in from the ground up I could see it working.

Beware the grue!

DArk.