Hi Dark,

I see what you are saying, and I guess what I was trying to point out
that some games are just character specific. For example, Tomb Raider
is and always has been about Lara Croft's personal story. When Edos
Interactive added a male playable character in Angel of Darkness it
did not go over very well with the fans. Most people, yours truly
included, wanted to play the game as Lara Croft as usual not as
someone else.

With something like Shades of Doom the main character isn't even named
and that game is open enough to add more than one character. David
Greenwood could change the story so that instead of one person
entering the lab perhaps its a highly trained team of special forces
types. He could design multiple characters for that roll, and whoever
you decide to play ends up getting trapped and has to find his/her way
out of the lab. Given this revised storyline you still get the
first-person action, but a choice of character rolls to play.

Basically, weather a game has multiple characters or not depends on
the game in question. Some games are not so character specific that
other characters and rolls can be added. Others like Tomb Raider are
lone wolf types where it is very character specific, and adding
additional playable characters detracts from the game instead of
enhancing it. A good developer will know when is and is not a good
time to add multiple characters.

Cheers!