Hi Dark,

Grin. I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. Your friend and I are quite a lot alike because that's actually one of the reasons why I became interested in programming. I get a satisfaction from being given a task, and then trying to create that piece of software from scratch and seeing the results of my work becoming reality.

Its for that reason I often create experimental programs for myself just to see if I can figure out how to make the computer do something, and it challenges me to learn new things along the way. Not only does it make me a better programmer there are often benefits to writing custom programs for my computer.

For example, writing SQL databases and then writing a GUI for it is about as boring as you can get. Yet if I create a database to keep track of my music collection it is both fun and satisfying because there is a purpose to the madness. Once I add all my music discs to the database I could look up a song like Magic Man by Heart and have a nice little report come back that it is on Dreamboat Annie (1976), Heart Greatest Hits Vol 1 (1994), These Dreams (1996), Heart Essentials (2004), etc. Figuring out how to create that program gives me as much satisfaction as being able to use it.

As you probably have guessed by now its not just programming that gets me excited. A lot of times beta testing new operating systems, software, etc is often like Christmas come early. I can't tell you why, but I really enjoy playing with new software and seeing what it can do. Even if it doesn't offer me anything really new in terms of actual benefits I enjoy trying it out.

For example, Microsoft just released the Windows 8 consumer beta just a few days ago. I litterally downloaded it and installed it on a machine practically the minute it was released. I was as excited as a kid on Christmas morning to get it and try it out. To put NVDA on it, and explore the new user interface firsthand.

In terms of advantages I don't really see it as having a lot of advantages for me over Windows 7. About the only thing I found with Windows 8 that might be a reason to upgrade is startup and shutdown times are much much faster than Windows 7, and it seems to use less ram. Both are good things, but to quote your own reasons for not upgrading it won't help me play movies, listen to mp3s, check my e-mails, etc any better than I do on Windows 7. However, all of that is beside the point to me.

What has me excited is simply that Windows 8 is new. It has a radically new user interface, new hot keys to learn, and I guess I just like the ability to explore it. To wander around the new user interface finding out what has changed, what new apps are available, what new features there are, and see what I can do with it. Rather than thinking of it as a tool I guess I think of it more like a toy that gives me pleasure simply by playing around with it.

As an end user I think the new start menu screen is terrible. They have all these program groups tiled in columns and rows across the screen which is not intuitive for a blind user at all. I'll be the first to say it sucks. However, its a trend thanks to smart phones, and if I am going to stay in the technical support and software development field its something I'll have to know how to use in order to keep up with my sighted peers. So its a learning experience as much as having fun playing around with the OS.

Of course, I have an advantage over many blind computer users and that is that Windows isn't my primary OS anyway. I use Linux for most of my day today computing so even if I get Windows 8 my personal interaction with it will probably be limited to games, software development, and/or using it to help people in my area troubleshoot problems with their new Windows 8 PCs. Regardless of what Microsoft does with the UI it won't impact me as much as someone who uses Windos exclusively because Windows is a secondary OS for me.

To be honest Windows Vista is what pushed me towards Linux in the first place. I had used Linux on a part time up until Vista came out, but thanks to changes in the UI, a product activation, etc I began using Linux full time and found out I liked it better. One reason is that Linux has a lot more customization than Windows that allows me to configure the OS to suit my needs and likes rather than being stuck with whatever interface Microsoft has decided to force upon their customers. It is things like Windos 8 where we have a totally visual interface with no ability to use a classic Windows interface that makes me more likely to use Linux as my primary OS.

For example, when I installed the Ubuntu 12 beta I was not happy with the latest version of Unity at all. Besides the broken accessibility which is being worked on right now Unity has a lot of stuff on the main screen with a launcher bar docked to one side of the screen and a menu bar running across the top of the desktop with options for doing this and that. Well, I don't have to keep it. I used apt-get, downloaded and installed the classic Gnome desktop, reconfigured the system and more or less have the same interface I've always had. There are changes but not like having to use Unity. Which is one huge advantage I think Linux has for blind users in terms of accessibility over say Windows 8.

Cheers!