From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 27 March 2012 20:19
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A Proposal for Game Developers

Hi Ben,

Well, that's precisely why I am considering writing this document. Too many
blind gamers don't really have a real idea of what mainstream games are like
and tend to make judgments based on accessible game standards rather than
mainstream standards. While I understand better than most we may never have
an exact comparison with mainstream games I know there is a lot more we can
do to improve the status quo if only more blind developers were made aware
of the areas they could improve upon.

Plus its not just developers that have this problem. We mention the word
side-scroller and most blind gamers think Super Liam, Q9, Tarzan Junior
which aren't good examples of the genre. We mention 3d game and blind gamers
automatically think Shades of Doom which is not even true 3d. Its things
like this which makes it difficult for us to communicate ideas, concepts, to
developers and players alike because they don't really know the terminology
for things and have no concept of what some of us mainstream gamers are
talking about.

To add to that some of the technical details like analog jumping really
haven't been explored to much in audio. There is no physics modeling and as
a result audio games tend to be very dumbed down when it comes to game
mechanics. As Dark says many audio games are reduced to BopIt type reactions
like hear it hit it, hear it jump over it, and the player isn't engaged
mentally in attempting to increase the power of a punch or increase or limit
the length of a jump. Its all these little details that just haven[t been
widely tried in audio before and perhaps now is the time to explain how this
stuff works.

Cheers!

On 3/27/2012 2:19 AM, Ben wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> Having played mainstream games for many years (despite my being blind from
> birth), and that is why I am making my new game closer to mainstream
things
> - with multiple weapons and a somewhat odd control scheme as some would
> consider it.  But your idea is also a very good one since I believe that
> people on this list, not trying to put it bluntly, need an education and
> lessons in mainstream gaming before we can begin to catch up...

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.