Hi Shaun,

While I agree that more mouse control would be a nice thing to see in more accessible audio games I'm more concerned about very basic things that are common to mainstream games that aren't even being attempted by audio game developers.

For example, there is no reason why combat can't be more complex. You can pick up any fighting game like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and there is a flury of attacks, blocks, and split judgments that need to be made. Even with the old beat-m-up games for the NES combat required some kind of judgment weather to try to hit the enemy with an uppercut, use a kick, or punch him in the gut.

Part of this is that most blind gamers are tied to a keyboard and therefore don't have the fluidity of a gamepad or joystick. With gamepads NES games typically used the directional cross with the fire button to pull off certain moves. Pushing up and the fire button might deliver a quick uppercut. Pushing down and the fire button might deliver a snap kick. Pressing up, jump, and the fire button might deliver a flying roundhouse kick. All of these moves can be performed in seconds as the interface is very easy and doesn't require holding several keys down at once.

However, the bigger issue is just that people don't know how to create a more complex fight. Controls aside there is no reason an enemy character can't make a huh, hep, or some other sound to indicate a punch, kick, etc is coming so you can either block it or avoid it. Instead fights tend to be limited to a kind of BopIt interface where you here enemy punch you and you punch back until one of you get knocked out. Mainstream games are far more realistic with enemies having several different attacks and you have to figure out which attack is coming, block it, and then surprise him/her with an attack of your own. Its actually a pretty simple concept to use in an audio game but hasn't been really tried.

Cheers!