Hi Damien,

Question. How many times have you called the manufacturer and actually
got them to commit to improving accessibility based on your personal
suggestions?

 That's where the rubber meets the road for me. We can call and
complain all we want, but short of a lawsuit most companies will brush
us aside without a second glance. We are too much of a minority to
invest time, money, and energy into developing added accessibility.
>From our standpoint it is completely immoral, but it doesn't make
sense from a financial point of view.

Which brings me to the issue of why sighted people don't pay more
attention to blindness and accessibility related issues. It comes down
to out and out ignorance of what we can and can't do. The average
sighted person knows nothing about screen readers like Jaws, knows
nothing about applications like Openbook for scanning and reading
printed documents, and probably don't know the first thing about basic
cane travel. Instead they grow up in a community of roomer and wild
guesses on what blindness must be like. I should know. I was once
sighted.

For example, when I first was told I would lose my sight you know what
I thought? I believed I'd have to count steps to find my way around. I
thought I'd never be able to use a computer because I couldn't use the
monitor. I believed blind people got guide dogs so the dog would lead
them around. I believed learning and using braille would be hard. All
of these things turned out to be falsehoods, but I didn't know that at
the time. In fact, no one else I knew my parents, other family
members, friends, etc had any clue of what to do for a blind person,
and how would they know?

After all screen readers like Jaws, Window-Eyes, and Window Bridge,
were sold through special agencies for the blind. Nobody knew about
orientation and mobility training such as cane travel and guide dog
usage so assumed a blind person must count his/her steps or a dog was
trained to lead him/her around. The few samples of braille that
someone would find like "other diet," which can be found on the lids
of McDonald's cups, looked nothing like print so the assumption was it
would be difficult to learn. I can go on and on, but what it all
really boils down to is ignorance. Not ignorance that we exist, but
how we actually go about using cell phones, computers, using guide
dogs, cane travel, read braille materials, and all the rest of blind
day to day life we take for granted.

Finally, as to your point about touchscreens you are right. Not
everyone can use them. There are people who have physical disabilities
with their hands that would make it impossible to use a touchscreen
and probably buttons as well. That's why more and more phones have
voice dialing and/or voice recognition too.

The iPhone, which has been said before, does have a voice recognition
application called Seri. Its not very good yet, but once fully
developed and tested will give an iPhone user control of the phone
through voice control. So perhaps, just perhaps, that might offer a
solution to your problem in time.

Cheers!