Hi paulette.
What sometimes dispairs me is the ignorance  of some users.
The throw away tech we have and the fact that if something goes people are interested in getting things fixed.
The quickest way to fix something is a reformat.
It always works and no research is needed.
Now unless you are some sort of linux guru and most people in the world arn't, well, in windows you don't even need to really know what you are doing.
If it works good if not, you reformat and it all goes away.
A lot of users don't have the drive to actually fix things and for those in business I guess I can understand, but I have been round the boxes since 1990, and have seen the historys from 1950 when they came online computers I mean.
And it saddens me that no one cares about what was.
What was shaped what is and what is yet to come.
Knowing what was enables me to understand what is happening, and why.
If windows decides to go boom its almost not worth the attempts to try to handle things.
I have no idea why people put all their eggs in 1 basket with the registry.
Its a good place but its its own programming language in itself.
All those libraries are good but failing libs can take the system.
If a module in dos failed, it could be replaced.
If a module in windows failes, you reformat because chances are the entire system is pulled down with the falier. I guess the extra security and data protection is good but still, I'd take configuration files any day and with the compressed encripted xmls as they are we really don't need a registry at all to be honest.
I digress though.
I do fear though that a tech won't eventually have to interact as closely as he has in the past. And it scares me that we are losing touch for the past and only concentrating on right now. Anyway ibm could have chosen something other than ms to handle things in the day.
we were running a unix type system back then.
If dos was never invented and ms never got there we would probably still running one.