I guess I kind of meant for starting out. Necros are amazing, even with all the nerfing they've been getting, but they take a lot more strategy and planning to build well, and if you don't know what you're doing you can make an absolutely terrible character. Whereas it's really hard to screw up a warrior thief, or even a warrior cleric. I'll be the first to admit soloing things is a bit trickier as a warrior thief, it's a little more concentrated and harder to grind, but it can be done given their huge amount of HP, all spells and a good stabber and leaper.

As for going through gear, yeah, what john said. You won't find good gear in shops unless it's a player shop. To build good sets past the newbie islands you really do need to be observant and actually pay attention to what other good players have and where to run it. The only shops I know of at all that have even remotely good gear are the fire towers shops, and you outgrow that gear quickly. Not to mension it's very expensive if you can't kill the shopkeepers. Alter Aeon is a very social mud built for grouping, and I've noticed that only the real elitists that play day after day for years on end and learn the game inside and out, where to get all the absolute best equipment, what strategies to use, etc, are the ones that can solo pretty much everything. Most of my deeds I got by leading groups. It was kind of amusing because it made a lot of the players that got them solo mad, but that was mostly because I was getting the rarer deeds on the game for other people and figuring them out, I just wasn't doing it solo like the hardcore elitists did. I personally say to each their own in playstyle, as with everything, and if people want to get all angried up just because I decided to play the game differently than they did, that's their problem. I haven't actually been on alter much lately because I've done all the deeds worth doing that aren't ridiculous to figure out, but I'll probably come back some day. Alter is one of the few muds I seem to return to after a long break.

From: "john" <jpcarnemo...@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:18 AM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] My issue with muds, discuss

That's interesting, I find that my tot104 30/30 warrior thief is much harder to play than my level 30 necro, and can handle much less stuff. My necro utterly destroys everything that my warrior doesn't dare approach. Perhaps it's because I don't know warrior eq that well, but I find that I take a lot of damage quickly and can't deal any out in a tank set. Just as an example, I run jo karan undead on my warrior, bumt the necro can easily do thalos/magical forest/witch house.