Hi Richard,

Well, in my experience emulators are a bad idea because they often
aren't accessible. However, virtual machines are becoming quite
popular and are very accessible.Plus it makes it possible to run any
operating system inside a virtual machine.

For example, my laptop is running Ubuntu Linux 12.04.1 as the primary
OS, but obviously I can't play Shades of Doom, Tank Commander, and so
on in Linux. So what I've done is install Windows 7 in a virtual
machine with all my games and Windows applications. That way if I want
to play a Windows based game or run an application like Goldwave its
as simply as booting the virtual machine and I can toggle back and
forth between Linux and Windows at the same time. The only
disadvantage to doing it this way is Windows apps will run slower in a
virtual machine, but it is the best way I know of to maintain two
operating systems at the same time.

Still, for those people looking to upgrade to a brand new Windows 8
machine with a 64-bit processor etc, they can simply install XP into a
virtual machine and run it for older apps and games that don't work as
well on Windows 8. Therefore a person can get the best of both worlds.
So, yes, where there is a will there is a way. :D

Cheers!