Hi Willem,

Same here. I really hope that the games written in Visual Basic 6 last
a good long time. So far we've been lucky and still get them to run on
the Windows 8 betas. However, I am concerned long term because the
issue is one of maintaining them as ops improve and change.

Already we can see that User Account Control is something that has
been around from Windows Vista and offers extra security from viruses,
trojans, worms, and other malware yet we've seen very little from the
audio games community to actually make their app's more User Account
Control compliant, and instead the  developers simply request we turn
it off. While that works it also means one must compromise his or her
security simply to continue playing games all because steps aren't
being taken to develop software that meets current development
standards. I've been guilty of this myself, but still it isn't
something we should take lightly.

Plus as someone with a degree in computer science and as a developer I
realize how much more languages like Visual Basic .NET has to offer
over say Visual Basic 6. Besides the fact it is better supported on
Vista, Win 7, and Windows 8 it is fully object oriented, has a lot
more preexisting classes to work with, some things are just down right
easier to do. Accessing the registry, for example,is fairly straight
forward in VB.NET. Plus if someone has VB .NET Pro they can compile
executables for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms as well as for smart
phones etc.  It just seems a waist to me not to take advantage of what
something like VB .NET or C# .NET has to offer the modern Windows
developer.

Cheers!