Hi Dark,

Those are some good points. I hadn't really thought about them before,
but you are essentially correct. There are some essential jobs just
missing from Castaways such as a cobbler for making shoes or a Taylor
for making clothing. The problem is because Castaways is mission based
all the jobs work towards a common goal such as building a ship to
sail away or to fortify a settlement from monster hoards. What we need
is something more like Sim City where we get to design a community
from the ground up and watch it grow.

The more I think about it one possible good idea in this direction is
a game where you get to buy land and start your own frontier town out
in the American West. You would have to have lumberjacks cut wood for
the houses and other buildings, have to have mills to cut and make the
wooden boards for building, have to have builders, and then assemble a
small town. From their you would assign jobs such as tailors to make
clothing, have a blacksmith to make guns and ammunition, a bar tender
to serve drinks in the saloon, have a cook at the village diner, a
frontier doctor, and so on. All of this could work similar to
Castaways but on a larger scale, and could be set in a different time
and location.

Plus the mediaeval fantasy setting is getting a bit old anyway.
Instead of fighting goblins and such why don't we have a game that is
based on a real historical time and place, and includes historical
enemies such as the Blackfoot who were very resistant to white
settlers from the east, and were not above raiding and burning the
nearby frontier towns when they could.

Besides the enemy raiders I could see a wide range of natural
disasters that you'd have to prepare for and guard against. One of the
most brutal are the winter snows. Things like a good blizzard could
effectively shut down a frontier town for days, and the citizens of
said town better have plenty of wood and food stores set aside or
people will begin freezing or dying. As the towns overseer you'd be
responsible to make sure everyone stays warm and is well fed through
the winter months.

So I do see where you are going. A Castaways II or something like it
would be a nice idea. Maybe someday if I get free of my own projects
I'll consider it. Lol.

Cheers!