On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:03:40PM +0200, Ulf wrote:

> But I' ve the following non AIX related bug.
> On Ganglia 3.0.x it was possible to disable mcast, like this:

the following configuration changes change the setup from multicast collection
to unicast collection with a collector in "my_ganglia_host"

> udp_send_channel {
>   #mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
>   host = my_ganglia_host
>   port = 8649
> }

here the name "my_ganglia_host" has to be able to resolve to a valid IP or you
won't be able to get it to start.

this is consistent between 3.0.7 and 3.1

> udp_recv_channel {
>   #mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
>   port = 8649
>   #bind = 239.2.11.71
> }
>
> If I try this on Ganglia 3.0.1 and try a telnet localhost 8649 I just receive
> the XML-Metadata, but without any data.

this is also consistent between 3.0.7 and 3.1.

the gmond in "localhost" doesn't have any metrics, because you instructed it
to send them to "my_ganglia_host" instead.

it is because of that that it usually makes also sense when used unicast to
disable the TCP listener in 8649 by doing (enclosed by comments) :

/*
tcp_accept_channel {
  port = 8649
}