On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 02:13:35PM +0200, Ulf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I' ve attached my gmond.conf with and without modules.

your gmond.conf should be irrelevant for this problem; in any case, it is
safer to NOT have one and let gmond use the one it has internally, at least
while testing.

that will not try to load modules from external files if it was compiled with
--enable-static-build.

> No idea where to get the GNU ld. Up to now it was possible to use the AIX ld.

AIX ld should work if we instruct it correctly to export the symbols gmond
needs.

For now though, GNU C is required, and while I agree that doing so is a bug,
and also a portability regression (which wasn't AFAIK intentional) and
therefore will need to get fixed; shouldn't be a showstopper or a
dependency to get a working AIX build if there are working alternatives.

> AIX uses this one:
> # lslpp -l bos.rte.bind_cmds
>   Fileset                      Level  State      Description
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   bos.rte.bind_cmds         5.3.0.62  APPLIED    Binder and Loader Commands
> # ld -V
> ld: LD 1.65 (04/06/2005)
>
> Cannot apply the export symbols = Bexp, I' ve no working automake 1.9. I' ve
> tried to change all Makefiles manually. But still the same issue.

automake 1.8.5 should work as well, as available from :

  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/os/aix/linux/toolbox/download.html

in any case, since you are using AIX 5.3 (sorry, no way to test it), the
following snapshot (not to be used otherwise)  might work for you :

  http://tapir.sajinet.com.pe/ganglia/ganglia-3.1.0.1409.tar.gz

please provide config/build logs from it, and configure it with

  ./configure --enable-static-build --disable-python
--with-libapr=/opt/freeware/bin/apr-1-config

remove the previous installations and configurations as well to avoid mixing
problems.

Carlo

PS. where did you get that compiler?, if it fails to work, can you test with
gcc-4.2.0 (for 5.3) from the AIX Toolbox?