On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 01:10:14PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> <care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
>
> > this is a bug on the autoconf from CentOS 4 which is used to build the
> > release packages, therefore you can also workaround the issue by
> > rebootstrapping the package or making your own with a better version
> > of the autotools. ?for simplicity I'd uploaded an unofficial release
> > package for 3.1.4 bootstrapped on fedora rawhide in :
> >
> > ?http://sajino.sajinet.com.pe/ganglia/ganglia-3.1.4.tar.gz
>
> Do you have a link for the bug, and are you aware whether there are
> updates for CentOS 4 to fix the issue?

I am not aware of a CentOS or RHEL bug report, but considering that EL4
is in maintenance mode there won't be a fix anyway (2.59 was released
in 2003 and the last update to package was in 2004)

> I guess I could start building on CentOS 5, provided that the autoconf
> does not have this bug.

CentOS 5 also uses autoconf 2.59 so wouldn't help with this problem, but
might hopefully allow us remove all the kludges that were added to workaround
the libtool 1.5.6 bugs which were preventing DragonFlyBSD support.

Ideally, which platform is used to bootstrap shouldn't be relevant though
and IMHO we should be instead aiming to the latest versions of the autotools
(either installed by hand or provided as part of the distribution if more
development focused) and for that when on Linux usually means Fedora, Gentoo
or Debian IMHO.

Carlo