Paul Sobey wrote:
>> Just some further comments on Paul's case:
>>
>> - I note Paul is using gcc, whereas I'm building and testing with Sun
>> Studio on the OpenCSW build farm - Sun's compiler is now a free
>> download, and it is used to build all the CSW libraries (including
>> those used by Ganglia), so this is now the easiest solution to
>> support - that, and Solaris 8 support, led me to tweak the
>> configure.in stuff for Solaris - maybe it needs more tweaking to
>> support gcc - would anyone like to comment on the preferred gcc build
>> environment to be supported?
>>
>> - I agree with Carlo's earlier email that
>> `--with-python=/opt/csw/bin/python2.3' should be all that is needed,
>> it is definitely something I tested, although I can't remember
>> whether it was when I was using gcc or Sun Studio - I will give it
>> another go before 3.1.5 - it is perfectly safe to disable it though
>>
>> On the issue of the gcc environment, we basically need a second
>> version of scripts/build-solaris.sh for gcc - this raises questions
>> like should the libraries (apr, confuse) be built with gcc too?
>> Which ld, ar, etc?
>
> We have an internal build system that builds packages with
> dependencies from source, sort of a poor man's Gentoo. We have this so
> that we can easily prepare versions of packages with the correct
> combination of configure options (a la Gentoo use flags), and once a
> package is built, upgrading to new versions is easy. This system has
> evolved after the pain of building something like Dovecot with its
> dependencies on newer OpenSSL/Kerberos/OpenLDAP, etc.. and then
> needing to upgrade after 3 months when nobody can remember how it was
> done!
This sounds a little bit like what the GAR tool does at OpenCSW

> We've tried various combinations of GCC/coreutils, with GNU ld and
> with Solaris ld, and settled on gcc 4.4.1 and Solaris ld, which seems
> to cause the least problems when building the packages we require. GNU
> ld on Solaris doesn't understand the filtered symbols often used in
> Solaris 10, and GCC prior to 4.4.0 on Solaris didn't deal with
> relocatable sections well with the Solaris linker. If anybody wants to
> discuss this off-list I'd be glad to.

Thanks for this feedback - maybe we need to capture this on the wiki

> We want to make sure that everything is built completely from source
> with no dependencies on csw or sfw. We are however more than happy to
> make use of the csw blogs and expertise - building open source tools
> on Solaris seems to be a bit of a minefield :)

I completely understand the need to build from source - however, could
you possibly rely on using GAR and the OpenCSW Makefiles to build
everything for you?  You could probably even use git to track the GAR
SVN repository, and branch any of the Makefiles if necessary.