I'm glad the two of you guys agree technically here and feel free enough to
tease each other a bit :).

I'm +1 on building our distro with the version of autotools that has the
best overall platform support.  Once the distro is created, end users
shouldn't have to worry about bootstrapping ganglia themselves.  When you do
a 'make distcheck' the resulting distro has no dependencies on autotools.
While I use CentOS 5 myself on some projects, the autotools there are pretty
old since CentOS focusing more on stability and security than features.

-Matt