On 01/25/2014 09:37 PM, Sergio Ballestrero wrote:
> Hello Adrian, if the host for which you send gmetrics is not a gmond
> "client", you need to also spoof a "heartbeat" metric, else the
> collector will think the host is down :
yeah, i already banged my head on the wall for this...
the things is that i dont know how fust this heartbeat is .. i imagine
that either i should send gmetrics faster than this heartbeat or
increase the time between heartbeats (at this moment it is not clear to
me how this is related to dmax and tmax ... )
is dmax the time-width of the metric value and tmax the heartbeat?
so the cronjob should have an size <= then tmax?

> HOST=ups.example.com IP=$(getent hosts $HOST | cut -d" " -f1)
> GMON=/etc/ganglia/gmond.UPS.conf T=$(ping -qn -c 1 -w 6 $IP | grep
> rtt | cut -d/ -f 5 | sed s/\\.//) if [ "$T" ] ; then gmetric -c $GMON
> -n ping_time -t uint32 -u us -x 600 -d 7200 -g network -T "ping avg
> time" -H -S ${IP}:${HOST} -v ${T} .... (your custom gmetrics follow
> here)
>
> and of course in the gmond.UPS.conf you put your separate "collector"
> gmond host and port.
>
> For the collector host, I run separate "client" gmond and multiple
> "collector" gmond. The latter have separate config files with no
> "udp_send_channel", in this way they don't send to themselves their
!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! i didn't think about this!

> own host metrics. I think I posted on the list my "gmondsrv" init.d
> script last year or so... mail me if you don't find it.
yes, i have it (you actually responded to one of my post ), thanks a lot!

my problem was this thing with self metrics (i cannot imagine how such a
small thing did not cross my mind!!!)

> Cheers, Sergio
>
> PS if it's an APC, see the attachment, courtesy of a work colleague.
yes, it is APC. Thanks for the script! ( a lot more organized than mine:) )

but i would have a few questions:
1. given tmax of 600 , do you have the cron job at 600 seconds?
2. the T is used to see if the ups is down i imagine.. but why are you
interested in collecting the ping time?
(i chosen to ignore failed devices with -r 1 -t 0.5; also given the
delay of snmpget i take all the list of vars with a single snmpget,
redirect in a file and format the variables from the file)

Thanks a lot for help!!
Adrian