From: gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatort...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of k...@kirkley.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:48 AM
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [gatortalk] Well... on one hand...

Brantley has the skill set, the problem this year was mental.  We have seen
him make throws before, even this year at times he looked good.  I think his
problems stemmed from a variety of sources:

- bad o-line play - from the bad snaps to generally scrambling for his life
he never got confidence sitting in the pocket.

- poor playcalling - knowing that we didn't have a real threat at QB to run
and knowing we had a mish-mash Oline due to injuries, we still ran the same
offense as we did last year.

-bad team chemistry between upperclassmen and freshmen - to offset the poor
playcalling, the coaches then let a couple of freshmen QBs take snaps and
they have success running the spread.  I think this increased tension on the
team

- fan criticism - I realize he probably doesn't obsess as much as we do, but
he had to hear it.  That had to be hard since this is his dream.

I think all of this led to a kid that by the end of the year was scared to
make a mistake, and that is when you usually make them.  He would check down
to his safe pass almost immediately, I think by the end of the year, the
only way Johnny would thrown the ball deep is if the WR was uncovered at the
line.

The big question is, will he be able to regain his confidence and gain the
trust of his underclassmen teammates.  We have the talent on the roster to
be good next year, what we need is to get all those names to become a team.
Coach Dawg has his work cut out for him.

Ken K

MNGator