On 5/12/23 09:53, Eli Zaretskii via Gcc wrote:

With all that to consider, is it *really* a significant cost to add
-fpermissive?

See above (and my earlier message): the significant cost is to
discover the root cause of the problem, and that -fpermissive is the
solution.  The rest might be relatively easier, at least in some
projects.

-fpermissive seems to be posted as the standard solution in this thread,

I don't know what constructs it allows, but it might enable things the user doesn't want besides silencing this new change.

So it seems to be more effort than to "just add -fpermissive" to get the code to compile again.

Think about big code bases where many developers are working on in different areas.

regards,
chris