Am Dienstag, dem 04.07.2023 um 16:46 +0200 schrieb Rafał Pietrak:...

> > I think a C++ class (or rather, class template) with inline functions is
> > the way to go here.  gcc's optimiser will give good code, and the C++
> > class will let you get nice syntax to hide the messy details.
>
> OK. Thenx for the advice, but going into c++ is a major thing for me and
> (at least for  the time being) I'll stay with ordinary "big" pointers in
> plain C instead.

Depending on what you are doing, "nice syntax" may not be
worth dealing with C++ issues. But this depends a lot on
circumstances.  If the spaces saving are really valuable,
I would personally just wrap accesses with a macro.

> > There is no good way to do this in C.  Named address spaces would be a
> > possibility, but require quite a bit of effort and change to the
> > compiler to implement, and they don't give you anything that you would
> > not get from a C++ class.
>
> Yes. named address spaces would be great. And for code, too.

While certainly some work, implementation effort for
new kinds of named address spaces  does not seem to be
terrible at first glance:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/target-macros/adding-support-for-named-address-spaces.html

Martin