Hi Ian,

W dniu 3.07.2023 o 17:07, Ian Lance Taylor pisze:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 11:21 PM Rafał Pietrak via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
[--------]
I was thinking about that, and it doesn't look as requiring that deep
rewrites. ABI spec, that  could accomodate the functionality could be as
little as one additional attribute to linker segments.

If I understand correctly, you are looking for something like the x32
mode that was available for a while on x86_64 processors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI .  That was a substantial amount
of work including changes to the compiler, assembler, linker, standard
library, and kernel.  And at least to me it's never seemed
particularly popular.

Yes.

And WiKi reporting up to 40% performance improvements in some corner cases is impressive and encouraging. I believe, that the reported average of 5-8% improvement would be significantly better within MCU tiny resources environment. In MCU world, such improvement could mean fit-nofit of a project into a particular device.

-R