On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 11:21 PM Rafał Pietrak via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> W dniu 28.06.2023 o 17:44, Richard Earnshaw (lists) pisze:
> [-----------]
> > I think I understand what you're asking for but:
> > 1) You'd need a new ABI specification to handle this, probably involving
> > register assignments (for the 'segment' addresses), the initialization
> > of those at startup, assembler and linker extensions to allow for
> > relocations describing the symbols, etc.
>
> I was thinking about that, and it doesn't look as requiring that deep
> rewrites. ABI spec, that  could accomodate the functionality could be as
> little as one additional attribute to linker segments.

If I understand correctly, you are looking for something like the x32
mode that was available for a while on x86_64 processors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI .  That was a substantial amount
of work including changes to the compiler, assembler, linker, standard
library, and kernel.  And at least to me it's never seemed
particularly popular.

Ian