Mark Mitchell wrote:

> What cygcheck output would be helpful?  I've never run cygcheck until
> just now, and it seems to have lots of options.

By the way, I don't see any reason to suspect that there's a Cygwin bug.
 The situation is:

1. A Cygwin xterm does not have an associated console.

2. You run a (MinGW) console application from with your xterm.  Nothing
pops up a console at this point because Cygwin is clever and does the
right stuff invoking CreateProcess just so.

3. The MinGW console application uses spawn to kick off a second MinGW
console application.

At this point, you get a DOS console box because MSVCRT spawn is not as
clever as Cygwin.  The OS sees that this is a console application, and
that there is no associated console, so it creates a new console at this
point.

I don't think Cygwin can prevent that because spawn is implemented by
MSVCRT.  This is just a situation where the fact that what looks to the
user like a terminal in Cygwin isn't what Windows thinks of as a
terminal, and that mismatch is exposed as we leave Cygwin by invoking
non-Cygwin applications.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery