Quoting Mark Mitchell <m...@codesourcery.com>:

Therefore, if I don't have an update "soon" (within a week or two), I'd
suggest that we operate under the assumption that it will not be
possible to combine GFDL manuals and GPL code in the near future.

We still can, to some degree, as long as we make sure that the
source code is GPL (generating GPLed code from GFDL source is not
compatible with the GPL provision of distributing the source under
the GPL), and that all patches include GPLed source and GFDLed
documentation from the start.
I.e. the original contributor grants GPL license to the source and
GFDL license to the generated documentation, and then with the
contribution the assignment to the FSF somes into effect.
What we can't do under this scheme is retroactively re-use code
as documentation or vice versa; we'd need the appropriate license
grant from the FSF for each bit of code/documentation that we want
to re-use in that manner.
Which should be even more motivation to get the initial licenses
right.

In this spirit, my patch:
should help to keep target hook code and documentation in
lock-step and properly licensed in the future, even though it
can't fix any of the pre-existing issues.

It's slightly out-of-date because three more changes have been
made to the target hooks in the meantime, two of which have introduced
new code/documentation inconsistencies; I'll post an updated patch
shortly after verifying regression test results.  However, it's
just mechanical changes where the new code / documentation bits
are added into the appropriate places.