On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-patches wrote:
> The libstdc++ manual is written in Docbook XML, but we commit both the
> XML and generated HTML pages to Git. Sometimes a small XML file can
> result in dozens of mechanical changes to the generated HTML files,
> which we record in the ChangeLog as:
>
>     * doc/html/*: Regenerated.
>
> With the new checks we need to name every generated file individually.
>
> If we add that directory to the ignored_prefixes list, we won't need
> to name them. But then the doc/html/* entry will give an error, and
> changes to the HTML files can be committed without any ChangeLog
> entry. Should we just stop mentioning the HTML in the ChangeLog?
>
> We could do something like the attached patch, but it seems overkill
> for this one special case.

The change makes sense, but indeed it feels like a very specialized
case in a general script.

Thinking out of the box (and admittedly with a dose of igorance, which
means I am likely missing something): Is not keeping the libstdc++/doc
HTML in Git a viable option?  Only creating that HTML as part of releases
and maybe snapshots?

Gerald