On 6/2/20 1:22 PM, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-patches wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:09, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:05, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 11:56, Gerald Pfeifer <ger...@pfeifer.com> wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-patches wrote:
The libstdc++ manual is written in Docbook XML, but we commit both the
XML and generated HTML pages to Git. Sometimes a small XML file can
result in dozens of mechanical changes to the generated HTML files,
which we record in the ChangeLog as:

     * doc/html/*: Regenerated.

With the new checks we need to name every generated file individually.

If we add that directory to the ignored_prefixes list, we won't need
to name them. But then the doc/html/* entry will give an error, and
changes to the HTML files can be committed without any ChangeLog
entry. Should we just stop mentioning the HTML in the ChangeLog?

We could do something like the attached patch, but it seems overkill
for this one special case.

The change makes sense, but indeed it feels like a very specialized
case in a general script.

Yes, that was my thought too.

On the other hand, the script is just meant to enforce our policies,
not dictate them. But on the gripping hand, if the policy can't be
checked simply, maybe it's a bad policy.

Similar to "doc/html/*" I've sometimes used "testsuite/*" for changes
that affect huge numbers of files in the libstdc++ testsuite, e.g.
commit r7-2817-52066eae5d3dd6b7c0a1b843469582dbdbb941eb did:

Nice example.

I don't want to list thousands of files at once. So maybe a general
approach for allowing wildcards in specific directories makes sense.

I tend to this approach. Let me prepare a patch candidate for it.

What will we do on January 1 2021 when Jakub updates the copyright
years in every file in the tree, turn off the hook temporarily?

We should probably add early bail out for git commits with
'Bump copyright year'. I'll help Jakub with that.

Martin