在 2022/11/25 15:37, Hi-Angel 写道:
Why? A default is merely a default. I don't really see why changing
that should help you specifically. A decision "which assembly syntax
to use" is one that makes a project like ones you're contributing to,
not GCC. If they decided to use AT&T syntax, they won't switch to
Intel just because a compiler toolchain has changed their default.

There's a lot more than that. The AT&T syntax usually surprises people; and more importantly, for miserable beginners on GCC inline assembly, they can't start learning from official Intel documentation, but have to learn from some non-standard, insane and incompatible dialect. That's just too unfortunate.

The AT&T syntax should really die out, but if it is kept the default, that is
never going to happen.

If you care specifically about the projects you are contributing to,
then those are the ones whom you need to convince to switch to "intel"
assembly syntax, not the GCC developers. Because as I said, changing a
default in GCC will hardly make any change to those other projects.

That is a poor reason for putting up with a piece of 50-year-old evilness and refusing to move forward. Upgrading the compiler is always a big change, and updating sources should be expected, when we take `-Werror` into account.

--
Best regards,
LIU Hao