> On 25 Nov 2022, at 09:11, LIU Hao via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> 在 2022/11/25 16:50, Marc Glisse 写道:
>> On Fri, 25 Nov 2022, LIU Hao via Gcc wrote:
>>> I am a Windows developer and I have been writing x86 and amd64 assembly for
>>> more than ten years. One annoying thing about GCC is that, for x86 if I
>>> need to write I piece of inline assembly then I have to do it twice: one in
>>> AT&T syntax and one in Intel syntax.
>> The doc for -masm=dialect says:
>>     Darwin does not support ‘intel’.
>> Assuming that's still true, and even with Mac Intel going away, it doesn't
>> help.
>
> Did you mean 'Darwin' instead of 'macOS'?
>
> The first-class C and C++ compiler for macOS is Clang anyway; even the thing
> named 'gcc' is effectively Clang.

Darwin, OS X, PureDarwin, macOS (Intel) all default to AT&T
(as does clang on the platform - I am not even sure if Intel syntax is
supported for macOS/Darwin there either).
.. we can be 100% sure that any Intel syntax support is (at least almost)
completely untested.

NOTE that the GCC gfortran (and Ada) remain the tools of choice on macOS (and
they also need the assembler).

It would be pretty difficult to change the default; if GCC changed, I’d only
end up patching the Darwin port to default to AT&T .. perhaps a solution for
the Windows port is to patch it locally to default to Intel?

Iain