Yes, Steve's got it right.  In the C++ you replace the instances of the 3
lengths Nate mentions with a single var (that can be more aptly named as
Steve wants) that is pythonically calculated and passed in from the
configuration.  I'm making up words here :).

I think I can do this tonight or tomorrow, I don't think it's that
complicated, so yes, I'm healthy enough :).

Lisa