On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Allen Wittenauer
> <awittena...@linkedin.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let me understand this:
>>
>> a) the hbase folks have been required to patch hadoop due to bugs
>
> The branch is to work on adding a feature to 0.20, not for fixing bugs.
>
>> c) we finally have momentum on getting 0.21 out the door
>> d) hey, let's make their life easier and take resources out of 0.21 by
>> creating a branch
>>

> The above is a fallacious setup.  How does a branch in 0.20 detract
> from the 0.21 momentum (The append feature that we'd work on in 0.20
> branch has little relation to how append works in 0.21).

For what it's worth, though, the majority of the size of the 0.20
append patch is made up of additional unit tests. I have started
forward-porting these new tests to the trunk append and it's already
exposed a number of bugs. So while it's tempting to say that the 0.20
append is "wasted effort", it really is benefiting the entire
community and the 0.21 release as well.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon