On May 4, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:

> Non-biding -1.
>
> I did download it and checked it out, but when I look at the
> documentation I see it says "Hadoop 0.20 documentation" in the tab on
> top. From what I can tell this isn't the branch 0.20 so I think it's
> an error and from a user point of view this looks more like something
> I would call 0.22 (although yes I understand this is 0.20 +security
> +whatever).
>
> Why would a single company push so hard to go against the "normal"
> release process just for "the benefit of putting our work in the hands
> of all hadoop users" is beyond me. It's not like people were begging
> on the mailing lists to be able to get their hands on such a release
> to the point where an emergency point release including tons of new
> features is needed.
>
> So to me the more logical reason would be monetary gains, that I would
> understand better from a for-profit company. But then why go through
> the hurdles of having such an ASF release when Y! isn't even selling
> anything remotely related to Hadoop services? And why now?
>
> But then there's this spinoff thing and it suddenly makes a lot more sense.
>
> E14 said earlier that "That is how apache works."
>
> I would say yes, maybe this is how it works, but I'm not sure I want
> to see it working like _that_. The ASF shouldn't be the vehicle for a
> single (future) company's wishes.

The ASF is a vehicle for whomever wishes to collaborate on a
given project.  Collaboration means helping do the work.  Those
who do the work may do so for whatever reasons that they think
are good, whether it is because they feel like being charitable
today, they get paid a salary and the big boss said "work on
this part", or because they just have an itch worth scratching.

Apache does not care why people choose to collaborate or
how they choose to apply their own intellectual efforts.  We
welcome all forms of contribution under the terms of our license.

What we do require is a certain amount of civility regarding
our voting procedures and an emphasis on individual responsibility
for your votes.  Anyone caught *voting* a particular way just
because the boss says so will be dealt with severely.  Votes
are how we do quality control and make decisions, and no other
company can be allowed to make decisions for our non-profit.

....Roy