On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Arun, great work below. Concrete, and an actual proposal of PMC lists.
>
> What do folks think?

Already expressed my opinion above on the thread that whole idea of
splitting is crazy. But, I'll comment on some specifics of the
proposal as well:

>> I think the simplest way is to have all existing HDFS committers be
>> committers and PMC members of the new project. That list is found in the
>> asf-authorization-template which has:

Why? If we were to do this, why not take the opportunity to narrow
down into the people who are actually active contributors to the
project? (per your reasoning on the YARN thread)

>> hadoop-hdfs =
>> acmurthy,atm,aw,boryas,cdouglas,cos,cutting,daryn,ddas,dhruba,eli,enis,eric14,eyang,gkesavan,hairong,harsh,jitendra,jghoman,johan,knoguchi,kzhang,lohit,mahadev,matei,mattf,molkov,nigel,omalley,ramya,rangadi,sharad,shv,sradia,stevel,suresh,szetszwo,tanping,todd,tomwhite,tucu,umamahesh,yhemanth,zshao

Of these, only the following people have actually contributed more
than 5 patches to common and HDFS in the last year:
Hairong Kuang (7):
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli (7):
Daryn Sharp (8):
Matthew J. Foley (10):
Devaraj Das (11):
Mahadev Konar (15):
Eric Yang (18):
Sanjay Radia (18):
Thomas Graves (18):
Thomas White (21):
Konstantin Shvachko (23):
Steve Loughran (24):
Arun Murthy (32):
Uma Maheswara Rao G (36):
Jitendra Nath Pandey (51):
Harsh J (68):
Robert Joseph Evans (71):
Alejandro Abdelnur (106):
Suresh Srinivas (107):
Aaron Twining Myers (171):
Tsz-wo Sze (184):
Eli Collins (252):
Todd Lipcon (286):

So I would propose:
atm,daryn,ddas,eli,eyang,hairong,harsh,jitendra,mahadev,mattf,shv,sradia,stevel,suresh,szetszwo,todd,tomwhite,tucu,umamahesh

and listing the others as Emeritus, who could easily regain committer
status if they started contributing again.

>> ----
>>

>> Proposal: Apache Hadoop MapReduce as a TLP
>>
>> I propose we graduate MapReduce as a TLP named 'Apache Hadoop MapReduce'.
>>
>> I think the simplest way is to have all existing MR committers be committers
>> and PMC members of the new project. That list is found in the
>> asf-authorization-template which has:
>>
>> hadoop-mapreduce =
>> acmurthy,amareshwari,amarrk,aw,bobby,cdouglas,cos,cutting,daryn,ddas,dhruba,enis,eric14,eyang,gkesavan,hairong,harsh,hitesh,jeagles,jitendra,jghoman,johan,kimballa,knoguchi,kzhang,llu,lohit,mahadev,matei,mattf,nigel,omalley,ramya,rangadi,ravigummadi,schen,sharad,shv,sradia,sreekanth,sseth,stevel,szetszwo,tgraves,todd,tomwhite,tucu,vinodkv,yhemanth,zshao

Applying the same criteria, the list would be:

Suresh Srinivas (6):
Aaron Twining Myers (7):
Steve Loughran (7):
Ravi  Gummadi (9):
Konstantin Shvachko (11):
Todd Lipcon (12):
Tsz-wo Sze (16):
Amar Kamat (17):
Harsh J (20):
Eli Collins (21):
Thomas White (27):
Siddharth Seth (46):
Thomas Graves (60):
Alejandro Abdelnur (71):
Robert Joseph Evans (107):
Mahadev Konar (118):
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli (164):
Arun Murthy (209):

(this is based on git shortlog on the directories in the repository)

But I still think this discussion is silly, and we're not ready to do it.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera