On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hey Eli,
>
> On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:18 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
>> <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>> Hey Eli,

>>> Probably the collective set of PMCs that are created, along with
>>> trademarks@,
>>> and along with other members of the Foundation.
>>>

>> But what are we enforcing as the "Hadoop" trademark if there is no
>> longer a Hadoop product release?
>
> Well Hadoop as a trademark, registered by the ASF, will remain. It doesn't go
> away,
> whether there is an explicit Hadoop TLP or product that TLP releases or not.
> I'd imagine as a PMC member once
> on the Hadoop TLP before it went away, you could choose to enforce the Hadoop
> trademarks by working with
> trademarks@ in the same way that you currently do, or don't, or whatever.
>
> And "enforce" is a loose word, since everyone's idea of "enforce" with
> respect to Apache
> PMCs and trademarks and so forth somewhat differs.
>
> My 2c.

I get that part, just not sure what we'd be enforcing.  A concrete
proposal will need to figure out what this means once there is no such
thing as a Hadoop release.  See
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop for some relevant
background on an old proposal that didn't go anywhere.