Jochen, you wrote:

Quoting Greg Wilkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

However, open process is at least as important as open software.

True. Apache has a totally open development process.

Agreed. But the ASF has just given a bad example on this (IMO).
Following the discussions on Geronimo in the last days, my
impression is that a lot of decisions (in particular architecture)
has already made behind the scenes. I do not even know who took
those decisions, or how they look like.

Well, you don't know them because they have simply not been taken at all.

In essence, what has happened is that some developers have proposed Apache to start a J2EE project. Apache said, "hey, we have many parts of the J2EE stack already, many Apache developers want to do it, other projects have expressed interest in donating J2EE code to Apache in these months... let's do it!".

So there is only a team of initial committers that have indipendently done some work on this outside of Apache, before proposing it to us, as other projects have taken their decisions before donating their codebases to us.

The bottom line: no design decision has been taken, we have some code to start on (which has still to be committed), a certification aim and a bunch of volunteers. What happens now is only what these volunteers decide to do.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -