On 30/07/06, Craig L Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jul 30, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Gwyn Evans wrote:

> On 30/07/06, Justin Erenkrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 7/27/06, Craig L Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> - All new development comes to the Incubator.  We expect no more
>> 'major' releases to be made outside of the ASF.  For example, SA
>> continued their 2.6x line at sf.net and released bug fixes.  SA 3.x
>> was developed here at the ASF.  This is my concern with Celtix and
>> XFire, but they both promised that no new 'major' versions will be
>> released - only minor bug fixes, but no new features.
>
> I'm not sure about this, as an absolute prohibition would imply the
> 1.x stream would go into maintenance, which might be more restrictive
> than planned...

The main point for me is that you are forking the Wicket code to
create the Apache project, and intent is everything. If you're
planning on actively developing in the old community, I'd question
the decision to come to Apache.

It might be a question of degree, as while the intention is that the
primary development be in the 2.0 branch, there is a roadmap for the
1.* branch that includes a 1.3 which might be viewed as having "new
features", to support the "old community" which may not be in a
position to switch to the 2.0 branch, as that will be a non-trivial
change.

That's the release branch that I'm concerned about, and my concern is
that the above, taken literally, could be read as a suggestion to
abandon our existing users...

/Gwyn