Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:36 -0400, Jim Hurley wrote:
I'm not going to try and pull a Bill Clinton with "it depends what the
definition of "is" is".... but I'd answer that I believe the Jini Community
views the project as *the* Jini implementation.

But *the* as in: "the main", "the original", "the most prominent", (what will be) "the Community's implementation", and "the one you'd recommend a developer
go grab to get going with Jini". But not *the* as in "the only".

If the resulting code is in org.jini.* then I have no problem with this.

However, the current structure appears to be org.jini.* for APIs and
com.sun.something.* for implementation. Clearly that structure says
there can be multiple implementations - and in that case I'm against
putting the two parts together.
doesn't make sense, let me give you two examples, the latter being extremely obvious 1. in Tomcat we have javax.servlet.*, org.apache.catalina.*, org.apache.coyote.*, org.apache.jasper.*, javax.mail.*, javax.annotation.* 2. Harmony, are we saying that harmony couldn't implement java.lang.String and org.apache.harmony.strings.StringImpl?

Clearly harmony is a project for both spec and implementation, and yes, there are more than one implementation available, but that doesn't mean harmony doesn't create their own java.* library.

Filip