On Aug 15, 2006, at 6:25 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:36 -0400, Jim Hurley wrote:

But *the* as in:  "the main", "the original", "the most prominent",
(what will be)
  "the Community's implementation", and "the one you'd recommend a
developer
go grab to get going with Jini". But not *the* as in "the only".

If the resulting code is in org.jini.* then I have no problem with this.

However, the current structure appears to be org.jini.* for APIs and
com.sun.something.* for implementation. Clearly that structure says
there can be multiple implementations - and in that case I'm against
putting the two parts together.

I don't have a problem with keeping the org.jini name for the APIs, regardless of whether the governance of the spec project stays dormant or comes over to Apache.

But I'd suggest that the com.sun.jini package should change to org.apache.newNameForJiniImplementation when it comes over.

Craig