On Mar 15, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Frank Question, Would your vote be the same if you thought Tuscany
would graduate very soon?

Yes, my vote has nothing to do with Tuscany. I'm actually pretty ambivalent about the result and was voting more for consistency across TLPs than any other reason. My opinion is that the dist/ incubator location, the file name, and the disclaimer everywhere give users more than adequate notice that a project is incubating and that more is just a bit of overkill but short of being asked to VOTE on it I'll go with the flow.

The primary issue for me in Craig's reply was whether stuff generated by podlings gets any legal protection from the ASF. If it doesn't, then there's no difference between my uploading stuff to dist/ incubator or the incubating repo or to some random server. If the Release is not an action by the Foundation then I personally (and potentially my employer if I had one) would be liable and that's rather unnerving.

In other words, what's the incentive for a
project (full of committers from one employer) to push for
diversity/graduation?

I think in that situation (e.g. Tuscany) the employer has its own motivations for graduation and generally wants that to happen as quickly as possible - no additional incentive is required. The challenge is in getting them to understand what is required, especially the necessity of losing control through diversity - i.e. "no single company or entity that is vital to the success of the project."

The ultimate incentive I think though should be more stick than carrot. If a project doesn't start acting like an Apache one, and exhausts its Mentors' energy to mentor, then it should simply be Terminated.

--
Jeremy