On Mar 18, 2007, at 4:08 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

Irregardless of that, the IPMC could stipulate that releases are "final
stepping stones" towards graduation, and require an active and diverse
community to allow for releases. After all, it is the Incubator that does the
release (legally) and not the podling.

Personally, I think it makes sense. I could also see good argument to allow for one or two 'early releases' which don't require this. SO the setup is a huge deterrent to "get cozy in the Incubator", not too different from the human incubator, where the baby will try to stay on, and the mother's body
will starve it of the resources to force a birth.... ;o)

Those 'early' releases could perhaps be source-only with some latitude for existing open source projects.

That's a deterrent for commercial entities but supports the goal of building the podling's developer community.

--
Jeremy