And zero incentive to ever graduate.  The point is that we've taken
this position because an incubating project ISN'T permitted to operate
or publicize as an ASF Project.

It's accepted, but the podling is accepted provisionally.  Abuse of the
Apache name results in ejection of the podling.

We seek to avoid two things; 1) that the project isn't a code dump, and
will have a community at Apache and 2) the project isn't a branding move,
and the community will act as an Apache community/meritocracy and follow
the open development process that we've build the foundation upon.

It takes time to prove both of these points.  Several folks have asked
that we move releases to www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}/ which
would be fine (/dist/{podling} would not).  Folks have asked if Maven
should be hosting them in a separate incubating space (or not separate,
or not at all) and that's really a Maven decision as long as they have
the -incbuating designation.

But I'm only concerned that we don't relax the promotion/branding
constraints, and that is one of the biggest incentives to an project.
Nobody wants to say that their "Foo project is a probationary project
at the ASF which will become a full project some day."  We hope the
devs would rather stand out as an "Apache Foo project".  And that still
seems to be the biggest incentive to graduate.

Bill